Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

A little about me ...

Hey folks !


As I'm a new blog user, I need to introduce myself...

My name is Guillaume. I'm from France, more particularly from the city of Nice on the "Côte d'Azur" (see the beautiful picture above). You probably have already heard about the French Riviera ? Soon, you will hear this accent escaping from my mouth, which makes the fame of French people !

I'm here in Singapore with my friend and classmate, Maxime, who will take part of this course too.
I'm 23 (in September) and I study industrial engineering in Grenoble Institute of Technology. I will be studying in NUS during one semester.

I came in NUS first because it's a very famous and recognized university. And that's a privilege for me to study here during one semester, to enhance my knowledge in industrial engineering but also to improve my communication skills. On the other hand, I chose Singapore because it's just the best place in Asia where you can easily travel all around Asia (Australia as well) at relatively cheap costs.


My feeling about Singapore so far


I've already visited a lot of places in Singapore. Especially the famous and inescapable Clarke Quay, where there's a lot of exchange and local students to mingle with and to meet. We've already met some kind people, with whom we are now used to spending our evenings and partying together.

I arrived in Singapore now 3 weeks ago, and I feel how much this city is enjoyable and rich of good people yet. The town is perfectly clean, the architecture is just awesome, and its economic growth made of this state-city one of the most dynamic countries of Asia.

But I think there is a price for this...

For the moment, I've noticed that it seems to be very restricted in terms of laws and rules.
Most of people we meet in the MRT, for instance, are constantly staring at their smartphone's screen or downcast eyes... As if they didn't want to look at foreign people, as if they distrusted them. I did feel - and stop me if you think I'm wrong - that they don't want to make the slightest mistake, for fear of being reprimanded.

But I also think it's a question of culture and customs : we are not used to meeting such people in France. And I'm sure that I'm going to learn to merge in this environment and that I'm going to meet full of great people.


I look forward to meeting you in the ES2007S module, and to improve my communication skills in English (you probably know what is said about the relationship between French people and the English language !).


Cheers,


Guillaume

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the intro, Guillaume. I appreciate your effort, and it's great that we can have a representative of Cote D'Azurin our class!

    Your "feelings" are also interesting. You rightly point out that Singapore (and Singaporeans) have much to be proud of: What a dynamic, beautiful city!

    One comment that you made especially interests me:

    "Most of people we meet in the MRT, for instance, are constantly staring at there(THEIR) smartphone's screen or downcast eyes... As if they didn't want to look at foreign people, as if they distrusted them. I did feel - and stop me if you think I'm wrong - that they don't want to make the slightest mistake, for fear of being reprimanded."

    Do you really think the MRT riders stare at their phones or cast their eyes downward because of a lack of trust? Couldn't it simply be they have an interest in games, videos or in reading messages? Or could this be a result of their shyness?

    You mention that in France you don't meet such people, implying that the behavior would be different. How?

    Direct eye contact certainly is not universally exchanged.

    In any case, I look forward to learning more from you this term.

    Merci beaucoup!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad ! Thank you for your comment.
    I was expecting this type of reaction to my first post ! I tried to draw the attention by being maybe a bit offensive.

    I need to clarify something that you pointed out :

    About the "smartphone-eye contact", you are right writing that they are fond of video games, social networking or texting.

    Talking about shyness, I was actually thinking about that when I dealt with their constant habit to cast the eyes when you try to catch their eye contact. As Singapore seems to be quite strict in terms of laws and rules (death penalty, huge fine for drinking in the MRT, CCTV), I used this cliché as an explanation to "why people are so shy". This is a pure assumption (or invention) I have made but I wanted somebody to give me the real explanation. Or maybe there is no explanation and this is a simple question of shyness, what I actually suppose.

    In France we have the same problem about people who are constantly playing on their smartphones in the "Métro", but less than in Singapore. And for the others, they tend to look at you, or to smile sometimes. French people like eye contact.

    To me, both of these behaviors (smartphoning and refusing to have eye contact) are either the symptoms of shyness or the characteristics of the Singapourean culture (if they are not used to eye contacting, we can always wait). Meanwhile, I would tilt more for the shyness.

    And what about you ?

    I look forward to read your answer.
    And by the way, it is "Côte d'Azuréen" :)

    See you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Guillaume, for your explanation.

    Personally, I see the norms for behavior in the MRT (or even in many other public areas) as separate from the rules and regulations such as the death penalty. In fact, I tend to think that most Singaporeans don't care so much whether their government puts to death the occasional convicted murderer or drug dealer.

    The MRT behavior, especially the lack of eye contact with strangers, is very similar to that of passengers in public transport in Japan, Korea and other Asian countries. From my view, it's simply that if a person doesn't know another, they have less of an inclination than typical Europeans or Americans to interact in public unless there is some necessity. In fact, you and I might call that shyness, but I don't think people here are so shy, perhaps cautious is a better word.

    I know exactly what you mean about the French liking eye contact. I've had that experience in Paris, walking around, shopping, hanging out in a bar or cafe, and exchanging glances with people. Here if that happens, let's say in a bar, then the stranger you're sharing eye contact with is certainly not following the norm.

    Also, I didn't intend to call you a Cote D'Azur anything; I meant "a representative of Cote D'Azur in our class. But thanks for letting me know that you are a Cote d'Azureen.

    By the way, please help me set up a diacritics function on my keyboard/blog so I can write proper French!

    ReplyDelete